Friday's Training

Friday, November 10, 2006

I was supposed to do a Fartlek... then I spoke to my colleague about it yesterday and he made a couple of suggestions...

These are three types of training I could do for my endurance and stamina... and also to increase my strides.

1. FARTLEK - 10 minute warm up jog. Run for a set number of minutes (e.g. 2mins - you can increase this time as you get more experienced) and then walk for e.g. 1 minute. Repeat this 8 times. 10minute warm down jog.
2. INTERVAL TRAINING - I did this today. Similar to Fartlek. After warming up (10minute), run a set distance (e.g 400m) hard... not sprinting, a little slower than that. Then walk 200m... Your target should be to do this 10 times. 10 minute warm down jog... I did it today... I could only do it SIX times... my body felt it. I think it really helps with your jogging technique and helps increase your strides. Ofcourse, stamina is greatly improved. When you jog long distances a lot, you forget about the lengths of your strides, I think this kind of training reminds me to take linger strides.
Does this make sense?
3. PYRAMID TRAINING - Apparently, this is very good for your endurance... 10 minute warm up jog. Run (3/4s of a sprint) 100m, Walk 200m, Run 200m, Walk 200m, Run 300m, Walk 200m, Run 400m, Walk 200m, Then begin to decrease the distance - Run 300m, Walk 200m, Run 200m, Walk 200m, Run 100m, Walk 200m. Make sense. 10 minute warm down jog.

I am not too sure if I will try out the pyramid training... I'll see.


I'll put up my Saturday run times tomorrow.

ToyinE, I work from home some days... so those days, I go running in the mornings :-)

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Well done on going today ... sounds tough!!! I'll definitely give these a go once I'm jogging longer distances without stopping!

I went for a jog this morning as well and I also intend to go tomorrow. Good luck tomorrow and looking forward to seeing your improved times!

Unknown said...

Thanks for breaking all these down. I have been doing the fartlek and the Interval training previously - just didnt know thats whnat they were called. (smile)

LondonBuki said...

@1982 Thanks and Keep it Up :-)

@CB Glad to be of service, Well Done :-)

@ToyinE Try them out but don't rush into it, you can increase your pace a little bit and take it from there.
Keep it up!

blogger templates 3 columns | Webtalks